• There will never be sufficient resources to address completely the problems posed by chronic pain.
• Health economics offers a mode of thinking which can assist in arriving at possible solutions to the often contentious problems in dealing with pain and its management, based on the concepts of effectiveness, efficiency, and equity.
• Economic impact of pain and its management need to be considered.
• Health economic evaluation enables decision-makers to assess the additional benefits generated from an intervention in relation to the additional costs that are incurred in its provision.
• High-quality relevant evidence and health economics techniques and approaches are essential components in developing a broader, strategic, whole systems agenda in pain management.
• Together they can provide the tools which decisionmakers can utilize in the drive for reductions in pain and better health and healthcare for our respective communities and societies.
Was this article helpful?
Are Headaches Taking Your Life Hostage and Preventing You From Living to Your Fullest Potential? Are you tired of being given the run around by doctors who tell you that your headaches or migraines are psychological or that they have no cause that can be treated? Are you sick of calling in sick because you woke up with a headache so bad that you can barely think or see straight?